The One With The Infected Gallbladder

Guys, do you remember a couple of months ago when my gallbladder tried to murder me? I was hospitalised for a small procedure that would put removal surgery off for at least 6 months but oh no, my gallbladder is a son of a bitch (sorry for my language but it’s been a hell of a bladdy week), and decided it would give me 2 months instead.

Let’s time travel a couple of weeks back. On Thursday, I was quietly dying at work. On Friday, I was dying quietly at my mother’s house.


Looking like a hot mess, I’m nothing if honest with y’all.

Saturday I felt okay enough to attend a (Rif)Wrapped turban styling workshop but by Sunday I was in an intense amount of pain. There was tears and vomiting and I really wanted to go to the ER. Because this didn’t feel right. Usually my gallbladder attacks would last a few hours and I’d be back to normal. But this time the best it would get to was a dull pain.

But I took some more pain tablets and managed to survive the night. On Monday morning I called my surgeon and he said to come through to his rooms immediately. He took one look and a few prods and admitted me right then and there. Here’s what he said:
“Let’s admit you today, run some tests and an ultrasound. We can schedule the surgery for tomorrow morning and you could be home by tomorrow afternoon”

Spoiler alert: I stayed in hospital for 4 days. FOUR DAYS!

Because y’all, my ultrasound told lies and didn’t pick up that the wall of my gallbladder was thickened. According to my doctor, my gallbladder was not a happy camper. It was infected, full of pus and gallstones. Basically a fun time.



When I came out of surgery I had a drain in the side of my body to make sure all the pus was out. It was so restricting. Walking to the bathroom was so difficult and the minute they took the drain out I could walk so much better.

The nurses were sweethearts. They looked after me so well with all the best pain meds. The food was a circus though. It was not lekker. Why do they serve sick people such gross food? And on top of that I don’t understand why they even bothered taking my order because every time they brought me something different. I soon gave up and just tried to start guessing what they’d bring me.
I was finally released on Thursday morning and my milk supply had dropped y’all. The supply in the freezer has been depleted and The Potato had to get a couple of formula bottles. Not the end of the world but I think my supply is back because I’ve been feeding her ever since.

The Potato

It took me about a week to be well out of pain and I went to my mom’s house to recover. Mother’s are such a blessing y’all! Alghumdulillah.

I’m so glad that stupid thing is out of me. I’ve been in so much pain this year and I’m just happy to get my life back.

My doctor said I don’t have to change my diet too dramatically but to take it easy with deep fried and oily food which is fine by me to be honest.



  1. Sharon Swanepoel

    August 28, 2017 at 10:43 am

    So glad you have finally got rid of that horrible thing!! Healing blessings, you are going to feel so much better very soon. xx

  2. Kim Muller

    August 30, 2017 at 8:30 am

    My gallbladder started giving me issues when I was pregnant with Ethan (the middle baby). I couldn’t get it removed for a whole year and the pain is excruciating. Healing vibes to you!

  3. Simone Cameron

    August 31, 2017 at 2:30 pm

    Had mine removed and thankfully no side effects. I can (unfortunately) eat absolutely anything. lol. The pain is out of this world! So glad you’ve finally gotten rid of the bloody thing. lol.

    1. Zayaan Schroeder

      August 31, 2017 at 3:03 pm

      I think I’m in the same unfortunate situation as you. I’ve tested a few “naughty” foods and I seem to be okay so far.

Leave a Reply